So 2016 has been a very weird, perplexing year for us all and has been filled with many changes. I’ve been very quiet on here for most of the year because it’s been tough to know just how to comment on what’s been going on.
My work has been no exception to these changes – 2016 has seen the biggest change in my career since 2007 in that October File has come to an end. I’d briefly touched on this development on my Facebook page back when it was announced but there’s not really more to say about it than has already been stated on the official OF page. We simply ran our course, we’d not performed live in over a year and didn’t feel we could take things any further than we already had.
It’s been a few months now since we came to this decision but it does still feel weird somedays to think that we’ll not play any of our songs together again.
There are some positives to highlight from this year though.
Firstly, back in the summer I tracked 4 songs down at the SAE Institute in Oxford for producer Charlie Davies and these are some of the best sounding drum parts I’ve ever had the pleasure of sharing! Each song in the playlist covers a different sub-genre of metal as the project was used for Charlie’s engineering/production dissertation. If you’re interested in checking them out you can do so here.
Not long after this session I was incredibly fortunate to find what had become a snare drum I thought I’d never own – a Premier Artist Brass. These are pretty rare given that they were only available with 2 specific configurations of Artist series kits around 10 or more years ago. Essentially only two sizes exist to my knowledge, 14″ x 5.5 and 14″ x 6.5, with the larger being more rare due to only being included in a pack which featured a 26″ bass drum. This particular ebay listed stated that this beautiful specimen was 14″ x 6″ and I assumed it must be the 5.5″ model measured incorrectly. On inspection I discovered that it is in fact 6″ deep and contacted my Premier artist rep – apparently it’s a weird depth that shouldn’t really exist at all and he’s still looking into how it was created and how it got out there. I’ve added die-cast hoops of course and this snare drum is an absolute monster which chews through a heavy mix in a very distinct way that even my Flynn Drums “The Welly” signature model can’t do.
I’ve also caught up with a major session client from last year who popped over for a fleeting visit and jam session to investigate what he thought was going to be his “new sound” – in reality we ended up discovering that this wasn’t the direction he needed to be going in and by complete accident found exactly where he should’ve been heading all along. So far this is only in it’s early stages but with a little luck in our schedules there’ll be further information about this to share around next summer.
Which brings me to my most recent piece of news – over the last 4 weeks I’ve been rehearsing with a new project that I’m really excited about. There’ll be full details to follow very soon but so far it’s been great to push into a new direction with my playing and be really challenged by what I need to play to make this material work properly – it’s most definitely rooted in the modern / progressive metal genre but has a sound very much all of it’s own.